Bassingbourn sports star becomes UK’s first deaf snowboarding instructor
- Credit: Archant
A 26-year-old sports fanatic from Bassingbourn says he is ‘amazed’ at his achievement in becoming the UK’s first-ever deaf snowboard instructor.
Mike Easton is profoundly deaf and has always dreamed of being an instructor, ever since he started boarding at the age of 14.
He said: “It’s amazing to hear that I am actually the first deaf snowboard instructor because I know a lot of deaf snowboarders.
“However, when I was part of Team GB in the European Open Deaf Snowboarding Championships in 2010 in Italy and 2012 in Finland, none of them were British-trained snowboarding instructors.”
Mike has already proved his training skills with his personal training business, Back to the Fitness, which has run for almost five years, as well as the work he has done for Melbourn Sports Centre training adults one to one, aerobic and boot camp classes, and children’s football and basketball coaching.
You may also want to watch:
His mum Vanessa was brimming with pride after Mike passed the British Association of Snowsport Instructors course with the support of Thriplow-based British Sign Language interpreting and communication service Clarion.
She said: “As a mum I am just really proud of him, as well as his older brother Dan, who are both profoundly deaf.
- 1 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 2 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 3 Fundraisers walk, run and roll in month-long charity challenge
- 4 Stagecoach bus routes changing due to lack of staff
- 5 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 7 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 8 Woman killed in A1307 lorry crash worked at Addenbrooke's Hospital
- 9 Leave us alone, MP’s junior aide tells councillor who quizzed him on Kabul
- 10 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
“There’s never been any doubt in Mike’s natural ability and enthusiasm for snowboarding.
“I know this qualification is the culmination of a dream he has had for years.”
Michael is able to instruct orally as well as being able to sign, so will teach both people who can hear and deaf students.