Bassingbourn, Orwell and Steeple Morden students enjoy creative writing workshops
- Credit: Archant
The first of Bassingbourn Village College’s annual celebration events saw some of their younger students honoured for their creative writing talents.
The BVC Library & Literacy Awards were held last week with students also taking part in creative writing workshops during the day.
The awards were targeted at students in Year 7 with younger students from Bassingbourn, Steeple Morden and Petersfield primary schools also invited to take part.
Students who have taken part in library events also received certificates recognising the best book reviewer, most prolific reader and exceptional librarianship.
Guest speaker Julian Sedgwick, author of the Ghosts of Shanghai and Mysterium series of children’s books, brought writing alive for the audience with tales of how he became an author and even a sneak preview of his new – as yet untitled and unwritten – novel.
You may also want to watch:
English teacher Rebecca Boxall said: “How amazing it was to fill the school hall with students and their parents, all celebrating achievements in literacy and reading. Julian was so impressed by our students that he’s asked to be invited back again soon!
“Our students are encouraged to read and write for pleasure and it was great to see this so much in evidence on Tuesday evening.”
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange