Bassingbourn campaigners in gipsy site protest
CAMPAIGNERS are preparing for a demonstration on Sunday in opposition to a possible gipsy site in Bassingbourn. Organisers are calling on as many people as possible to join them at 11.30am outside the doctor s surgery in Spring Lane for the proposed 30-mi
CAMPAIGNERS are preparing for a demonstration on Sunday in opposition to a possible gipsy site in Bassingbourn.
Organisers are calling on as many people as possible to join them at 11.30am outside the doctor's surgery in Spring Lane for the proposed 30-minute walk to demonstrate to South Cambridgeshire District Council the strength of feeling against the proposed site in what villagers deem "an inappropriate place".
They are expected to be joined by Conservative MP Andrew Lansley in addition to local opposition councillors.
South Cambridgeshire District Council needs to find 88 new gipsy and traveller pitches by 2021 and the Bassingbourn Spring Lane site, along with land at Old North Road, Whaddon, is among 149 plots that have been identified as possible locations.
You may also want to watch:
Last month more than 500 villagers packed into an exhibition about the proposals, while 300 people attended a meeting about the plans.
One of those opposed to the plans, Jill Reeve, said: "We are hoping that as many people as possible come out in support of us.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 3 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 4 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 5 The bells are back in town!
- 6 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 7 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 8 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 9 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 10 Warning as more residents targeted by scam police calls
"The council is proposing plans for the area on what is a narrow country lane, which goes down into a conservation area.
"It's an inappropriate site.