Bassingbourn cadets set for palace visit after bagging DofE gold awards
- Credit: Archant
A pair of Bassingbourn cadets are set for a palace visit after completing their gold Duke of Edinburgh awards.
Alex Rowson-Brown and Martin Walls bagged the award after completing five challenging activities over the course of a year, testing them on a host of expedition and activity skills.
The cadets both went on a kayaking expedition on the River Wye, where they had to carry all their own equipment for four days.
Alex went on an overseas camp to RAF Troodos in Cyprus while Martin went to RAF Aldergrove near Belfast.
Alex said: “I have worked very hard to earn my bronze and silver awards so achieving my gold has been amazing.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to going to St James’ Palace to formally receive it.”
If you would like to take part in the DofE scheme and other squadron activities and are in Year 8 or above, please email email@example.com.
- 1 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 2 Extremely concerning incidents reported in Kneesworth House Hospital documentary
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 5 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 6 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 9 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 10 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!