Bassingbourn Book Cafe volunteer Hazel cuts cake for 90th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A birthday surprise was the order of the day for a loyal volunteer at the Bassingbourn Book Cafe.
Hazel Lord is usually the one making homemade cakes for the cafe, but on Sunday a cake was created just for her to mark her 90th birthday.
Fellow volunteers sang happy birthday and presented the cake to Hazel at the Bassingbourn Book Cafe’s afternoon tea event at the weekend.
Hazel has been volunteering for the cafe for 11 years,which has been operating three days a week by volunteers since the village library closed.
The library sessions in High Street take place on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays and are financed by fundraising events and the parish council.
You may also want to watch:
The library also receives support from Cambridgeshire County Council.
To find out more, visit www.bassingbourn.org/local-groups/ bassingbourn-book-cafe.
- 1 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 2 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 6 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 10 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts