Bassingbourn Book Cafe volunteer Hazel cuts cake for 90th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A birthday surprise was the order of the day for a loyal volunteer at the Bassingbourn Book Cafe.
Hazel Lord is usually the one making homemade cakes for the cafe, but on Sunday a cake was created just for her to mark her 90th birthday.
Fellow volunteers sang happy birthday and presented the cake to Hazel at the Bassingbourn Book Cafe’s afternoon tea event at the weekend.
Hazel has been volunteering for the cafe for 11 years,which has been operating three days a week by volunteers since the village library closed.
The library sessions in High Street take place on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays and are financed by fundraising events and the parish council.
The library also receives support from Cambridgeshire County Council.
To find out more, visit www.bassingbourn.org/local-groups/ bassingbourn-book-cafe.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge