Bassingbourn Barracks to remain open
THE Ministry of Defence has confirmed that Bassingbourn Barracks will not close as part of the government’s defence review.
Despite initial reports in the national press the site, which is home to the Army Training Regiment, is expected to expand.
The MoD said steps were also being taken to accommodate army units returning from Germany in 2015.
However the nearby Waterbeach Barracks, north of Cambridge, will close by 2015.
Dr Liam Fox, the secretary of state for defence, said: “The defence of the United Kingdom, and wider military tasks, including the capacity to support the civil authorities in times of crisis, requires a strong military presence across the entire country.
You may also want to watch:
“We have also considered the impact of changes on local communities.
“Finally, we have taken into account the need to make the maximum use of existing defence estate, and to dispose of that which is not required.”
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 10 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator