Barrington woman’s charity mission turns into UK-wide Musicians Against Homelessness project backed by famous names
- Credit: Archant
A post on social media by a Barrington woman has been transformed into a huge national music project in support of a homeless charity – and one of the first gigs will be right on your doorstep.
Carer Emma Rule, who used to live in Meldreth, is the brains behind Musicians Against Homelessness – a fundraising campaign which will see gigs pop up across the country for the charity Crisis, which she volunteers for.
The gigs promote up-and-coming talent and the campaign has been backed by the likes of Shaun Ryder, Courtney Love Cobain, Buzzcocks, Irvine Welsh, Libertines and Happy Mondays.
The big names don’t stop there – charity patron is Alan McGee, who famously managed Oasis as well as other well-known acts.
Emma, who also does PR for musicians, said: “It started off with me putting a post on Facebook asking to arrange a local gig, maybe at a pub or something at Christmas.
“I had an incredible response, my post got shared so many times.
“To date we have almost 100 gigs and festivals confirmed with many more waiting to be announced.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
“Quite a few of the gigs have well-known artists playing. Alan doesn’t get things wrong, he’s passionate about what he does and he’s a really nice man.”
Emma has sourced a huge team of regional managers from across the UK – and everyone involved is a volunteer.
She is encouraging people to get down to the Meldreth event, which will be held at Eternit Sports and Social Club on Saturday, September 3 from 1pm.
Expect a bar, barbecue and bouncy castle at the Your Party event, as well as performances from Hazard, Easy Dread, Kalibri and Kermode Spirit. You can get tickets by going online at your-party.org.uk or calling 01763 220402.