Barley care home resident Jim celebrates 100th birthday surrounded by family
- Credit: Archant
An OBE recipient living in Barley has celebrated his 100th birthday surrounded by his family.
Born in Dundee, James Dargie – known as Jim – was married to his late wife Greta for 47 years and has two children, Graeme and Morag, four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren, with another on the way.
Jim worked for Scottish Gas before becoming chief financial officer of the Glenrothes Development Corporation.
In 1975, he was appointed the first controller of audit for Scotland, running the Accounts Commission. In recognition of his services to public finance, he was awarded an OBE in 1982.
Jim has lived in Scotland for almost all his life, apart from serving in the Middle East during the war. He also enjoyed travelling the world until well into his 90s.
You may also want to watch:
He moved to Margaret House residential and dementia care home in Church End, Barley, to be closer to family. Staff organised a party for him to mark his centenary birthday on Saturday last week, complete with cake and a birthday card from the Queen.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?