Barley care home resident Jim celebrates 100th birthday surrounded by family
- Credit: Archant
An OBE recipient living in Barley has celebrated his 100th birthday surrounded by his family.
Born in Dundee, James Dargie – known as Jim – was married to his late wife Greta for 47 years and has two children, Graeme and Morag, four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren, with another on the way.
Jim worked for Scottish Gas before becoming chief financial officer of the Glenrothes Development Corporation.
In 1975, he was appointed the first controller of audit for Scotland, running the Accounts Commission. In recognition of his services to public finance, he was awarded an OBE in 1982.
Jim has lived in Scotland for almost all his life, apart from serving in the Middle East during the war. He also enjoyed travelling the world until well into his 90s.
You may also want to watch:
He moved to Margaret House residential and dementia care home in Church End, Barley, to be closer to family. Staff organised a party for him to mark his centenary birthday on Saturday last week, complete with cake and a birthday card from the Queen.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange