Barkway Park Golf Club chooses Garden House Hospice Care as 2018 charity
- Credit: Archant
Barkway Park Golf club has appointed North Hertfordshire’s hospice, Garden House Hospice Care, as its charity of choice for 2018 – with the club captains supporting the cause because of personal experiences.
Garden House Hospice Care, based in Letchworth, looked after men’s captain Peter Young’s family friend, and ladies’ captain Sylvia Desmond’s husband.
Mr Young said: “I am very pleased that we are now supporting Garden House Hospice Care for the great work they do within our region. They recently provided care for a friend of our family.
“Money is raised from the captain’s drive in and ongoing fundraising from the Captain’s bunkers on the 12th hole, where a player has to pay a £1 penalty if their ball lands in the bunker.
We have also raised a lot at the bar during Dry January this year –altogether we’ve raised £1,400 so far this year and I hope this will continue throughout the year.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Desmond said: “I was keen for us to support Garden House Hospice Care because my husband Mike received his palliative care from the Hospice, which was brilliant.”
For more, see ghhospicecare.org.uk.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?