Barkway Park Golf Club chooses Garden House Hospice Care as 2018 charity
- Credit: Archant
Barkway Park Golf club has appointed North Hertfordshire’s hospice, Garden House Hospice Care, as its charity of choice for 2018 – with the club captains supporting the cause because of personal experiences.
Garden House Hospice Care, based in Letchworth, looked after men’s captain Peter Young’s family friend, and ladies’ captain Sylvia Desmond’s husband.
Mr Young said: “I am very pleased that we are now supporting Garden House Hospice Care for the great work they do within our region. They recently provided care for a friend of our family.
“Money is raised from the captain’s drive in and ongoing fundraising from the Captain’s bunkers on the 12th hole, where a player has to pay a £1 penalty if their ball lands in the bunker.
We have also raised a lot at the bar during Dry January this year –altogether we’ve raised £1,400 so far this year and I hope this will continue throughout the year.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Desmond said: “I was keen for us to support Garden House Hospice Care because my husband Mike received his palliative care from the Hospice, which was brilliant.”
For more, see ghhospicecare.org.uk.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms