Bargain exercise classes offer to older Royston folk
- Credit: Archant
Older people in Royston who would benefit from some light exercise with a community focus are invited to join in with an activity programme led by a North Herts charity starting this week.
With techniques drawn from a simplified form of yoga called adaptive yoga, and the posture and movement methods of the Alexander Technique, the Letchworth Centre For Healthy Living is introducing Positive Movement, a unique approach which aims to improve mobility among older people.
Thanks to funding from the National Lottery and Herts County Council, the cost for a session is £2.50 – which includes tea and biscuits as well.
The team is also looking for volunteers to give a couple of hours a week to help out at each session by setting up the rooms before classes, welcoming participants, making drinks and helping to clear up.
Centre founder and director Roberta Meldrum said: “Decline is not inevitable, we want to give people a ‘can do’ attitude.
“Some of the stories are extraordinary about treatments changing people’s lives.
“We have had people who have not even been able to walk down the aisle at church or stand at a bus stop turn things around with our classes.”
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
They will be held at Coombes Community Centre in Burns Road, Royston, on Thursday, February 11 at 11am and Monday, February 22 at 10.30am.
Email email@example.com for more.