Bargain exercise classes offer to older Royston folk
- Credit: Archant
Older people in Royston who would benefit from some light exercise with a community focus are invited to join in with an activity programme led by a North Herts charity starting this week.
With techniques drawn from a simplified form of yoga called adaptive yoga, and the posture and movement methods of the Alexander Technique, the Letchworth Centre For Healthy Living is introducing Positive Movement, a unique approach which aims to improve mobility among older people.
Thanks to funding from the National Lottery and Herts County Council, the cost for a session is £2.50 – which includes tea and biscuits as well.
The team is also looking for volunteers to give a couple of hours a week to help out at each session by setting up the rooms before classes, welcoming participants, making drinks and helping to clear up.
Centre founder and director Roberta Meldrum said: “Decline is not inevitable, we want to give people a ‘can do’ attitude.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of the stories are extraordinary about treatments changing people’s lives.
“We have had people who have not even been able to walk down the aisle at church or stand at a bus stop turn things around with our classes.”
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
They will be held at Coombes Community Centre in Burns Road, Royston, on Thursday, February 11 at 11am and Monday, February 22 at 10.30am.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more.