Bargain exercise classes offer to older Royston folk
- Credit: Archant
Older people in Royston who would benefit from some light exercise with a community focus are invited to join in with an activity programme led by a North Herts charity starting this week.
With techniques drawn from a simplified form of yoga called adaptive yoga, and the posture and movement methods of the Alexander Technique, the Letchworth Centre For Healthy Living is introducing Positive Movement, a unique approach which aims to improve mobility among older people.
Thanks to funding from the National Lottery and Herts County Council, the cost for a session is £2.50 – which includes tea and biscuits as well.
The team is also looking for volunteers to give a couple of hours a week to help out at each session by setting up the rooms before classes, welcoming participants, making drinks and helping to clear up.
Centre founder and director Roberta Meldrum said: “Decline is not inevitable, we want to give people a ‘can do’ attitude.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of the stories are extraordinary about treatments changing people’s lives.
“We have had people who have not even been able to walk down the aisle at church or stand at a bus stop turn things around with our classes.”
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 6 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 7 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 8 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 9 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 10 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
They will be held at Coombes Community Centre in Burns Road, Royston, on Thursday, February 11 at 11am and Monday, February 22 at 10.30am.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more.