Barclays in move to lease back bank
RESIDENTS in Buntingford were concerned when an auction sign went up outside Barclays Bank. And The Crow received a number of calls from residents concerned that they were about to lose their bank. However, the bank is simply selling the property in the
RESIDENTS in Buntingford were concerned when an auction sign went up outside Barclays Bank.
And The Crow received a number of calls from residents concerned that they were about to lose their bank.
However, the bank is simply selling the property in the High Street - and will then lease it back.
A Barclays spokeswoman said: "Residents need not worry. A number of Barclays banks have decided to sell off their properties, but will be leasing it back.
You may also want to watch:
"We've had enquiries from concerned residents, but I have assured them that it is business as usual."
Ross Craddock, of Buntingford, said: "Initially I was worried, but it's great news that it's staying open.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
"Banks are disappearing from the high streets and if it did shut I think it would have a big affect on the town's businesses."
Another resident, who has been with Barclays for more than 30 years, said: "We would be in a lot of trouble if it closed.
"This bank is one of the few things that holds the town together. I use it once a week and I know that I would be lost without it."
The auction of the property is set to take place on Wednesday March 28.