Banner raises expectations for Melbourn Bloomsday
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn will come to life once more as the setting of James Joyce’s Ulysses later this month, and villagers are getting into the swing of things already.
To help promote the three-day festival the Bloomsday Celebration banner was launched at Melbourn Village College and is now on a circuit of nearby villages and venues.
The festival, which begins on Tuesday, June 14, is inspired by Bloomsday, commemorating the work of Irish literary icon James Joyce and his most famous work.
The action in Ulysses takes place on a single day – June 16 – which is the focus of events around the world.
In Melbourn, a day-long party is planned, with 13 free events across the village on that Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
People are invited to dress in ‘full or partial’ if they can, but it’s not required. There’s lots more information about this year’s event available online at melbourncambridge.org.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre