Bands join together to celebrate 40th anniversary of Royston’s twinning link with Grossalmerode, Germany
- Credit: Archant
Brass bands from England and Germany will be teaming up to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a twinning link.
Royston Town Band will be hosting a visit from their friends in the Grossalmerode Musikzug, from Grossalmerode, Germany.
This year marks the 40th year of the link between Royston and Grossalmerode, and to celebrate the occasion, the two groups will play together at the Old Bull Inn, Royston, on Friday May 30.
Roger Simons, secretary of Royston Town Band, said: “The band from Grossalmerode was among the very early visitors to Royston and in those early years was very much a marching and fanfare band, comprising mainly of trumpets and drums. “The Town Band were a little slower in joining in with the spirit of twinning, not making their first visit to the beautiful town of Grossalmerode until the early 1980’s.
“Since that time however there have been regular exchange visits with many close friendships being formed. The Town Band have always particularly enjoyed taking part in the Heimatfest, which takes place in Grossalmerode every five years, and are already looking forward to joining in the festival once again in 2015.”
You may also want to watch:
The German band, whose style has now changed to include greater instrumentation, will arrive in Royston for a long weekend of activities on May 28. The concert at The Old Bull starts at 1pm, and there will also be a grand evening concert ‘In Perfect Harmony’ to be held in Barley village church on Saturday 31 May, 7.30pm.
Tickets for this evening concert are £8 for adults and £4 for children, and will be available on the door.
- 1 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 2 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 3 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 4 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 5 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 6 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 7 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 8 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 9 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 10 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns