Band to fly solo after setting up record label
A PROMISING local band believe they have come a step closer to fulfilling their ambitions by setting up their own record label.
The Incredible Flight of Birdman, who have been tipped for big things in the national press, have formed Tiny Crow records and will release their next single through it next month.
The label will be run by singer Nick Osbourne’s father Andy, who lives in Therfield. Nick said it was something his dad has wanted to do for a long time.
“He has had the idea in the back of his mind for a while, and is a massive music fan anyway,” said singer Nick, who lives in Old North Road, Royston.
“After we released our first single through a label that specialises only in debut releases, we thought we could start doing things ourselves.
You may also want to watch:
“My dad is retired and has no experience in the music industry, but has been speaking to PR companies and record labels to try and teach himself.”
The Incredible Flight of Birdman formed two-and-a-half years ago when Nick met guitarist Rich Yates at Warwick University. They recruited Colchester-based Rob Fisher (drums) and Doug Stewart (bass) and have since earned recognition from national newspapers.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 10 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
“The Daily Star tipped us as a band to watch for the future last year,” said Nick. “They might have got to know us when we played our single release show in London, as there were a lot of press there, and Kaiser Chiefs were watching in the crowd.
“Now having set up the label, we can hopefully release a couple of singles, an EP towards the end of the year and maybe an album in the summer.”
Nick, who describes the band’s sound as “melodic with catchy choruses,” says there are big things planned for the label once they get it on its feet and admitted a local connection with its name.
“We are looking to sign other bands to Tiny Crow,” he said. “We have already seen other bands we want to do work with, and it is likely this is going to get bigger. It’s an exciting time for us.
“Of course we wanted to give the name of the label a local connection so went with Tiny Crow, as it’s synonymous with Royston.”
The Incredible Flight of Birdman’s single, Fate With Amnesia, is due out on March 7 and will be available on iTunes. More information on the band can be found at www.myspace.com/theincredibleflightofbirdman.