Bag-packing volunteers in Cambridge boost Tom’s Trust
- Credit: Archant
Bag-packing volunteers handed a charity a welcome pre-Christmas boost by raising £1,600 to support its work.
A team of 40 people from Fowlmere charity Tom’s Trust, packed bags at Sainsbury’s supermarket in Coldhams Lane, Cambridge, over two days last weekend.
In return they asked for donations to the trust, which was set up in July 2011 after Andrew and Deborah Whiteley, from Fowlmere, lost their 9-year-old son, Tom to a brain tumour. It now supports children and their families living with brain tumours.
Mrs Whiteley said, “We were thrilled to have been chosen by Sainsbury’s to help bag pack and raise awareness of the charity during the festive season. In only 12 hours we managed to raise over £1,600. I am truly touched by the amount people have donated.”
Tom’s Trust also recently received £5,000 from the Santander Foundation, which will help it pay for a full-time fundraiser to support the charity’s work.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Whiteley said: “This generous award will allow us to increase our fundraising activity and raise additional much needed funds to dedicate towards the care and rehabilitation of children with brain tumours. We can’t thank Santander enough for their support.”
David Smyth, from Santander’s Royston branch, said: “We are delighted to be supporting Tom’s Trust and hope the donation makes a real difference to local people.”
- 1 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 2 Extremely concerning incidents reported in Kneesworth House Hospital documentary
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 5 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 6 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 9 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 10 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!