Awards search widens to find top youngsters
THIS year s Young People of the Year awards have been extended across North Herts and East Herts. The move comes after the success of last year s awards which covered Royston and the surrounding area. Organiser Tony Gearing said the awards had secured spo
THIS year's Young People of the Year awards have been extended across North Herts and East Herts.
The move comes after the success of last year's awards which covered Royston and the surrounding area.
Organiser Tony Gearing said the awards had secured sponsorship from Royston-based property company St John Spencer Estates and Development and grants from North Herts District Council.
Ex-journalist Mr Gearing said he had been concerned earlier this year that lack of support from a sponsor would have seen the awards abandoned.
You may also want to watch:
But now youngsters from Royston will be competing with youths from Baldock, Letchworth and Hitchin as well as the surrounding area.
A second award competition will be run in Buntingford.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 4 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 10 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
Katherine James, from Meldreth, who won the first Young People of the Year award for her work with cerebral palsy children at Meldreth Manor School, will be one of this year's judges.
Mr Gearing said: "We have enough support to run two awards in large parts of Herts with, hopefully, more to follow."
Royston's mayor Cllr Bill Prime said it would have been "a terrible shame" had the awards been dropped.
- For more details visit the website at www.yopey.org or call 0945 838 2640.