Award for man taking the strain
COMMUTING can be a stressful business, but David Piggott aims to take the strain out of train travel. Mr Piggott, who works at Meldreth railway station, provides tea and coffee for his customers, and has also been known to phone regular travellers at home
COMMUTING can be a stressful business, but David Piggott aims to take the strain out of train travel.
Mr Piggott, who works at Meldreth railway station, provides tea and coffee for his customers, and has also been known to phone regular travellers at home to let them know that their trains are running late.
His efforts were highlighted in the recent Royston Business Awards, when he was named as one of the winners in the Outstanding Customer Service category.
Mr Piggott, who has been at Meldreth for nine years, said: "I just try to do my bit.
"One of the joys of working at a small station is that you have time to get to know people and do a few extra things to make their journeys run smoothly.
"I've worked at larger stations such as Hitchin, where this isn't possible."
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 North East Herts MP declares 'loss of confidence' in PM
- 3 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 4 Health at the Hub project launched in Melbourn
- 5 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 6 Tesco Community Garden to hold weekend celebration
- 7 Cambridge Summer Music Festival 2022 brings world-class classical performers to Cambridgeshire
- 8 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 9 Kite Festival set to return to Royston next month
- 10 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
John Balodis, from the Royston Chamber of Commerce, who organised the business awards, said: "There were so many good candidates when it came to the Outstanding Customer Service Award that we selected three joint winners.
"David received so many positive comments that we felt his work should be recognised," he said.
Mr Piggott received his award from Mr Balodis, right, at the station as he had been unable to attend the awards evening.