Author James Mayhew helps pupils get creative at village school
AUTHOR and illustrator James Mayhew inspired pupils at a village school when he visited last week.
Mr Mayhew spent the day at Therfield First School working with children at the school and talking about his career.
Lisa Hall, head teacher at the school, said: “James really managed to inspire all of us with his many talents and skills.
“The children were captivated listening to his story telling and learning about his experiences, as both a writer and an artist. We all had the opportunity to unleash our creativity and work together to paint the stunning mural which is now in the hall. It was a marvellous day.”
The day began with an assembly, in which Mr Mayhew, author of a wide range of childrens titles including the Ella Bella Ballerina series, demonstrated his amazing ability to tell a story whilst painting a picture upside down
You may also want to watch:
He then worked with groups of children and adults to design and paint a multi-cultural themed mural on the hall wall before rounding off the day being interviewed by the older pupils.
A school spokesman said: “They discovered that James started his writing career at a young age by writing a story for his school newspaper, that his favourite styles of painting are impressionists and that his sister, Katie, was the inspiration behind his famous Katie series of books.”
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 6 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 7 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 8 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 9 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 10 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'