Ask firemen your burning questions at station open day
Royston Fire Station is opening its doors to the public this weekend. The event, which runs throughout the day on Saturday, will provide visitors with the chance to look around and take part in fun events - they will also be offered essential fire safety
Royston Fire Station is opening its doors to the public this weekend.
The event, which runs throughout the day on Saturday, will provide visitors with the chance to look around and take part in fun events - they will also be offered essential fire safety advice.
Station Commander Sean Comerford, said: "We're hoping everyone will come down and join us. We've got a great range of things to see and do. Not only will families have an enjoyable day out, but hopefully they will leave us more informed about fire safety issues."
Advice will be given on smoke detectors and safety in the home and people will also be able to book a home fire safety check. Visitors will be invited to take part in a "fit to firefight" indoor rowing challenge, to show people the sort of fitness levels required to join the fire service.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be a free bouncy castle, refreshments, and the crew will give demonstrations throughout the afternoon; including a chip pan fire and cutting up a car using specialist hydraulic cutting equipment.
Cllr Keith Emsall, executive member for community safety and culture at Hertfordshire County Council, said: "It is a great opportunity for the community to come and meet their local firefighters, and get important information about fire safety and learn about services in their area."
- 1 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 2 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 5 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 6 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 7 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown
- 8 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 9 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 10 What can open on April 12 when lockdown rules ease?
The open day runs from 10am - 4pm.