Ashwell teenager selected by British Cycling for youth forum role
- Credit: Archant
A teenager has been selected by British Cycling to play a key role in shaping the future of cycle sport.
Rebecca Maynard, 16, from Ashwell will now join 11 other National Youth Reps from clubs across the country on British Cycling’s National Youth Forum. The group will focus on developing opportunities for their young peers and providing the chance for others to ride, race and volunteer.
She said: “Being on the National Youth Forum, within a sport that I love, will give me the opportunity to be a voice for other volunteers like myself and I will now be in a better position to encourage others to join in.”
Rebecca has already achieved a Gold Award as part of the Cycling Award for Young Volunteers programme developed by British Cycling. This means she has demonstrated a continued commitment to volunteering at her cycling club, the Welwyn Wheelers.
John Mills, British Cycling Director of Coaching, Education and Development, said: “Rebecca has already made a huge impact on cycling in her area through her role as a dedicated volunteer. We are now keen to give her the opportunity to be the voice of youth riders and help to shape the sport.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the National Youth Forum and the Cycling Award for Young Volunteers, please visit www.britishcycling.org.uk/youngvolunteers
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 3 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 4 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?
- 5 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 6 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 7 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 8 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 9 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 10 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway