Ashwell at Christmas: Crowds turn out for festive fun day
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Christmas has arrived in Ashwell, as hundreds of visitors enjoyed the village’s annual festive celebration.
The Ashwell at Christmas spirit was in abundance on Saturday as the candy cane trail led visitors between St Mary’s Church’s Christmas Fair and Winter Wonderland at the United Reformed Church.
Volunteer Elizabeth Coldstream, who organised the St Mary’s event, said: “Stallholders did swift and active business selling artwork, clothes, cushions, woodwork, cards and a huge variety of edible treats, to name only a few!
“Those who attended, and we understand that was in excess of 400, were also treated to Christmas-themed musical entertainment from the church choirs and a soloist.”
Money raised by the church’s own stalls go to the church itself and its restoration fund.
You may also want to watch:
Winter Wonderland saw the URC host Santa and one of his elves in his grotto, to raise money for Ashwell Playgroup, which organised the event.
There were lots of games and crafts to occupy the crowd both before and after the visit with Santa. There was also a fun trail outside where lucky children could find candy cane treasure as they made their way around the village.
- 1 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 3 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 6 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange