Ashwell at Christmas: Crowds turn out for festive fun day
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Christmas has arrived in Ashwell, as hundreds of visitors enjoyed the village’s annual festive celebration.
The Ashwell at Christmas spirit was in abundance on Saturday as the candy cane trail led visitors between St Mary’s Church’s Christmas Fair and Winter Wonderland at the United Reformed Church.
Volunteer Elizabeth Coldstream, who organised the St Mary’s event, said: “Stallholders did swift and active business selling artwork, clothes, cushions, woodwork, cards and a huge variety of edible treats, to name only a few!
“Those who attended, and we understand that was in excess of 400, were also treated to Christmas-themed musical entertainment from the church choirs and a soloist.”
Money raised by the church’s own stalls go to the church itself and its restoration fund.
You may also want to watch:
Winter Wonderland saw the URC host Santa and one of his elves in his grotto, to raise money for Ashwell Playgroup, which organised the event.
There were lots of games and crafts to occupy the crowd both before and after the visit with Santa. There was also a fun trail outside where lucky children could find candy cane treasure as they made their way around the village.
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 6 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 7 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 10 Missing teen found safe and well