Ashwell at Christmas: Crowds turn out for festive fun day
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Christmas has arrived in Ashwell, as hundreds of visitors enjoyed the village’s annual festive celebration.
The Ashwell at Christmas spirit was in abundance on Saturday as the candy cane trail led visitors between St Mary’s Church’s Christmas Fair and Winter Wonderland at the United Reformed Church.
Volunteer Elizabeth Coldstream, who organised the St Mary’s event, said: “Stallholders did swift and active business selling artwork, clothes, cushions, woodwork, cards and a huge variety of edible treats, to name only a few!
“Those who attended, and we understand that was in excess of 400, were also treated to Christmas-themed musical entertainment from the church choirs and a soloist.”
Money raised by the church’s own stalls go to the church itself and its restoration fund.
You may also want to watch:
Winter Wonderland saw the URC host Santa and one of his elves in his grotto, to raise money for Ashwell Playgroup, which organised the event.
There were lots of games and crafts to occupy the crowd both before and after the visit with Santa. There was also a fun trail outside where lucky children could find candy cane treasure as they made their way around the village.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 5 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?