Ash needs marshals to join the team for next month’s charity half marathon in Bassingbourn
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
On your marks to get involved in a great community event – the Bassingbourn Brainstrust Half Marathon will be staged for a second time on Sunday, July 5.
Event organiser Ash Hawkins set up Fit4thechallenge with his wife Kirsty to run a number of events a year to help raise money and awareness for charity.
Ash said “I have completed many half marathons in the past, raising thousands of pounds for charity.
“But following double knee surgery, I am no longer able to run those distances, so I decided to set up events instead and do my bit for charity that way.
You may also want to watch:
“The charity for the Bassingbourn Half Marathon is and always will be Brainstrust, a brain cancer charity.
“I lost my dad to a brain tumour in December 2013 after a three year battle with the illness.
- 1 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 4 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 10 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
“Brainstrust receives very little funding support from central government so I know whatever I raise will help them.
“It is not just the funding, though – the event helps to raise the profile of the charity and awareness of the disease.”
So far 230 runners are signed up for the event and entry closes on Friday, June 26. If you are interested in taking part, visit the race website at www.fit4thechallenge.co.uk
But if you are not a runner but would like to get involved in the event Ash would love to hear from you. He is still looking for volunteers to help as course marshals and race headquarter marshals. If interested please contact us before next Friday, June 12, and we’ll put you in touch.
You can find the centre Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk