Arsonists target football club’s building
ARSONISTS have targeted a portable cabin belonging to Royston Eagles Football Club. Woodland behind the Newmarket Road playing fields was set alight and the fire spread under the cabin, causing smoke damage and extensive damage to the doors. The cabin was
ARSONISTS have targeted a portable cabin belonging to Royston Eagles Football Club.
Woodland behind the Newmarket Road playing fields was set alight and the fire spread under the cabin, causing smoke damage and extensive damage to the doors.
The cabin was used as changing rooms and for storage of equipment.
A spokesman for the Eagles said: "There have been break-ins in the past, but this is the first time arsonists have attacked the cabin.
You may also want to watch:
"We do secure it with a padlock, and there's mesh over the glass windows, but it's in quite a remote area.
"We can't use it as it stands, so we are going to have a meeting to discuss a way forward before the season starts in September.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 4 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 7 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
"It would be nice to have a new cabin, but we would still get the same problems, so there is a possibility we might have to move."
Pc David Coombes said: "We believe that there are people who witnessed this incident or may have details of those responsible."
Anyone with information can call Pc Coombes on 01462 425266 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.