Meldreth man appears in court charged with firearms offences
- Credit: Archant
The Meldreth man charged with a string of firearms offences has been remanded in custody, after appearing at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court today.
Arran Ayres – of The Boulevard – is charged with possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of a firearm without a certificate, two counts of possession of a firearm or ammunition without a certificate, four counts of possession of a shotgun without a certificate, and possession of criminal property.
The 24-year-old was arrested at the scene as part of a two-day police operation, which saw more than 50 officers swoop into the village on Tuesday. Officers are investigating the alleged handling of stolen goods and possession of illegal firearms.
Local neighbourhood officers, specialist search officers and the Rural Crime Team carried out extensive searches of some properties within The Boulevard and Five Acres and recovered three caravans, two trailers and a van which are all thought to be stolen.
A number of weapons, including firearms, were also recovered – along with a quantity of cash.
You may also want to watch:
Arran Ayres was remanded to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on December 17.
A 34-year-old man from Meldreth was also arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of drugs, handling stolen goods and money laundering. He has since been bailed until December 11.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?