Meldreth man appears in court charged with firearms offences
- Credit: Archant
The Meldreth man charged with a string of firearms offences has been remanded in custody, after appearing at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court today.
Arran Ayres – of The Boulevard – is charged with possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of a firearm without a certificate, two counts of possession of a firearm or ammunition without a certificate, four counts of possession of a shotgun without a certificate, and possession of criminal property.
The 24-year-old was arrested at the scene as part of a two-day police operation, which saw more than 50 officers swoop into the village on Tuesday. Officers are investigating the alleged handling of stolen goods and possession of illegal firearms.
Local neighbourhood officers, specialist search officers and the Rural Crime Team carried out extensive searches of some properties within The Boulevard and Five Acres and recovered three caravans, two trailers and a van which are all thought to be stolen.
A number of weapons, including firearms, were also recovered – along with a quantity of cash.
You may also want to watch:
Arran Ayres was remanded to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on December 17.
A 34-year-old man from Meldreth was also arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of drugs, handling stolen goods and money laundering. He has since been bailed until December 11.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 5 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside