Meldreth man appears in court charged with firearms offences
- Credit: Archant
The Meldreth man charged with a string of firearms offences has been remanded in custody, after appearing at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court today.
Arran Ayres – of The Boulevard – is charged with possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of a firearm without a certificate, two counts of possession of a firearm or ammunition without a certificate, four counts of possession of a shotgun without a certificate, and possession of criminal property.
The 24-year-old was arrested at the scene as part of a two-day police operation, which saw more than 50 officers swoop into the village on Tuesday. Officers are investigating the alleged handling of stolen goods and possession of illegal firearms.
Local neighbourhood officers, specialist search officers and the Rural Crime Team carried out extensive searches of some properties within The Boulevard and Five Acres and recovered three caravans, two trailers and a van which are all thought to be stolen.
A number of weapons, including firearms, were also recovered – along with a quantity of cash.
Arran Ayres was remanded to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on December 17.
A 34-year-old man from Meldreth was also arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of drugs, handling stolen goods and money laundering. He has since been bailed until December 11.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife