Army on parade for charity
TROOPS from Bassingbourn Barracks were on parade at Tesco in Royston on Saturday, and raised more than £800 for charity. Personnel from the Bassingbourn Army Training Regiment collected money for the Help for Heroes charity, and the Soldiers Sailors Air
TROOPS from Bassingbourn Barracks were 'on parade' at Tesco in Royston on Saturday, and raised more than £800 for charity.
Personnel from the Bassingbourn Army Training Regiment collected money for the Help for Heroes charity, and the Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA), kitted out in full uniform.
In total they raised £867.21.
Major Geoff Woodcock, who organised the event, said: "It was good to be out in the community receiving so much support from local people.
You may also want to watch:
"The generosity was amazing and the kind words of support from all who gave were inspiring.
"I think after recent events in the national press about service personnel wearing uniforms, everyone without exception, was pleased to see our public display, wearing our uniform with pride."
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 4 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 5 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 6 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 9 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 10 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
Help for Heroes was established last year with the aim of raising £6million to build a hydrotherapy pool at Headley Court, the defence rehabilitation centre in Surrey.
The SSAFA has been serving the Armed Forces and their families for more than 100 years, and provides confidential helplines to serving and ex-service personnel, as well as raising funds for service family accommodation.