Army on parade for charity
TROOPS from Bassingbourn Barracks were on parade at Tesco in Royston on Saturday, and raised more than £800 for charity. Personnel from the Bassingbourn Army Training Regiment collected money for the Help for Heroes charity, and the Soldiers Sailors Air
TROOPS from Bassingbourn Barracks were 'on parade' at Tesco in Royston on Saturday, and raised more than £800 for charity.
Personnel from the Bassingbourn Army Training Regiment collected money for the Help for Heroes charity, and the Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA), kitted out in full uniform.
In total they raised £867.21.
Major Geoff Woodcock, who organised the event, said: "It was good to be out in the community receiving so much support from local people.
"The generosity was amazing and the kind words of support from all who gave were inspiring.
"I think after recent events in the national press about service personnel wearing uniforms, everyone without exception, was pleased to see our public display, wearing our uniform with pride."
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 3 Health at the Hub project launched in Melbourn
- 4 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 5 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 6 North East Herts MP declares 'loss of confidence' in PM
- 7 Tesco Community Garden to hold weekend celebration
- 8 Cambridge Summer Music Festival 2022 brings world-class classical performers to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Kite Festival set to return to Royston next month
- 10 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
Help for Heroes was established last year with the aim of raising £6million to build a hydrotherapy pool at Headley Court, the defence rehabilitation centre in Surrey.
The SSAFA has been serving the Armed Forces and their families for more than 100 years, and provides confidential helplines to serving and ex-service personnel, as well as raising funds for service family accommodation.