Army on parade for charity
TROOPS from Bassingbourn Barracks were on parade at Tesco in Royston on Saturday, and raised more than £800 for charity. Personnel from the Bassingbourn Army Training Regiment collected money for the Help for Heroes charity, and the Soldiers Sailors Air
TROOPS from Bassingbourn Barracks were 'on parade' at Tesco in Royston on Saturday, and raised more than £800 for charity.
Personnel from the Bassingbourn Army Training Regiment collected money for the Help for Heroes charity, and the Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA), kitted out in full uniform.
In total they raised £867.21.
Major Geoff Woodcock, who organised the event, said: "It was good to be out in the community receiving so much support from local people.
You may also want to watch:
"The generosity was amazing and the kind words of support from all who gave were inspiring.
"I think after recent events in the national press about service personnel wearing uniforms, everyone without exception, was pleased to see our public display, wearing our uniform with pride."
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
Help for Heroes was established last year with the aim of raising £6million to build a hydrotherapy pool at Headley Court, the defence rehabilitation centre in Surrey.
The SSAFA has been serving the Armed Forces and their families for more than 100 years, and provides confidential helplines to serving and ex-service personnel, as well as raising funds for service family accommodation.