Appeal saves Burma Star memorial
GENEROUS Crow readers have helped save a memorial day for a group of war veterans. In April we told you about an appeal from members of the Burma Star association, who were seeking to raise �5,000 to fund a remembrance day at the Imperial War Museum, Duxf
GENEROUS Crow readers have helped save a memorial day for a group of war veterans.
In April we told you about an appeal from members of the Burma Star association, who were seeking to raise �5,000 to fund a remembrance day at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford.
Donations have flooded in over the last three months, and it has now been confirmed that the event will take place on August 15.
The museum had previously funded the annual get-together, but the impact of the global recession means they are no longer able to provide the cash. However, they have agreed provide a venue for the war heroes free of charge.
You may also want to watch:
Jimmy Kemp, of Duxford, who is a member of the association, said: "We've had so many donations and offers of help that we now have enough money to put on the day.
"We are very grateful to readers of The Crow for all their help and support," he said.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 4 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 9 Rail timetable change could see 'dramatic improvement' to village services
- 10 'It's one of the best gigs to do' - Troublemaker star Olly Murs looks ahead to his Newmarket Nights concert
Last year over 2,000 people attended the Burma Star Day memorial.
Another veteran, Benny Chapple, of Rock Road, Royston, said: "It's the one day in the year when we all get together to remember those who died in Burma.