Appeal for witnesses after assault leaves man temporarily blinded
Autistic man attacked in Royston
AN autistic man was left partially blinded after an assault in Royston.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, which left the 33-year old victim requiring medical attention.
The attack happened on Thursday June 24 at about 1am in Normans Lane, off Upper Kings Street near the Old Bull Inn. The victim approached another man to talk to him, and this man then assaulted the 33 year old before making off in the direction of Briary Lane.
PC Steve Penhall, investigating, said: “The victim, who suffers with autism, suffered temporary loss of vision to his left eye. This was an unprovoked attack as the victim meant no harm when he tried to engage the man in conversation.
You may also want to watch:
“We believe the suspect maybe local and I would like to appeal to anyone who saw what happened or has any information about the assault to contact us,” he said.
The offender is described as a white man aged in his late teens - early 20s. He was about 5 feet, 9 inches tall, had blonde spiky hair, and was wearing light blue jeans and a pale blue top.
- 1 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 2 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 3 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 4 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 5 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 6 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
Anyone with information should call Hertfordshire Police on 0845 3300 222 quoting crime reference number G4/10/475. Alternatively phone Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. You do not have to give your name and you could be entitled to a cash reward.