App-ealing crop used to produce new drink
STAFF and visitors to the Letchworth Centre for Healthy Living are raising their glasses for the first time to a bumper crop of apples. This year the apples have been turned into cider and fruit from the centre s 100 tree orchard has provided them with 70
STAFF and visitors to the Letchworth Centre for Healthy Living are raising their glasses for the first time to a bumper crop of apples.
This year the apples have been turned into cider and fruit from the centre's 100 tree orchard has provided them with 700 bottles.
Aptly named Rosehill Apple Juice as the trees are in the grounds of the former Rosehill Hospital where the centre is located, cash from the crop is going towards the growing people project, which provides horticultural therapy for people recovering from mental health problems.
All the apples were picked by volunteers before being pressed by Cam Valley Orchards at Meldreth near Royston. Bottles are on sale at the centre's Rosehill Caf� and were also sold at Hitchin Apple Day by the Triangle Community Group.
You may also want to watch:
"The juice is non-alcoholic but has become very popular," said centre conference manager Jaqui Derrick.
Ashley Walker, a horticultural therapist with the growing people project, said: "We were very grateful to get involved in this apple picking project. Our clients have really benefited from it. Before we started I wouldn't have thought it would have had such an impact.
- 1 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 2 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 7 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 8 Tribute to beloved mum, friend and artist Debbie Horabin
- 9 Political row over South Cambs new town proposal
- 10 Thief pleads guilty to assaulting two people