Animal shelter to redevelop
WOOD GREEN Animal Shelter plans to redevelop its Heydon site using money raised at the Tesco store in Royston. Representatives from Tesco presented a cheque for £1031 to Dennis Baker, chief executive of Wood Green, at a ceremony yesterday (Wednesday). So
WOOD GREEN Animal Shelter plans to redevelop its Heydon site using money raised at the Tesco store in Royston.
Representatives from Tesco presented a cheque for £1031 to Dennis Baker, chief executive of Wood Green, at a ceremony yesterday (Wednesday). South Cambs MP Andrew Lansley and Royston mayor Peter Lill were also in attendance.
Mr Baker said: "We're planning changes in two stages. In the short-term we want to replace the current wooden cat houses with new plastic ones. Some of them are probably 30 years old so it's about time they were upgraded. Then in the longer term we want to completely redevelop the site, but that will obviously take some time and quite a lot more money.
"Wood Green gets no government funding and no lottery grants so we rely entirely on donations like this."
You may also want to watch:
Stuart Ayres, store manager at Tesco's Royston, explained that the money came entirely from customers of the store: "Every year we pick several charities to raise money for, and this year Wood Green are one of those. We've had collection tins on the tills and our customers have given very generously."
Kath Holt, customer service manager at Tesco's Royston added: "This is an ongoing campaign to raise funds for Wood Green, and we want to get another £1,000 as soon as possible. We would also like to encourage people to donate tins of animal food using the collection box outside our store.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 10 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity