Animal charity appeals for help rehoming a record number of cats
AN ANIMAL charity is appealing for help to rehome some of it’s furry residents after receiving a record number of cats.
Wood Green is currently caring for 143 cats and kittens across at it’s three centres, one of which is in Heydon, and has 506 on a waiting list.
Manager of Cat Welfare Juliette Jones said: “We currently have the highest number of cats and kittens on our waiting list that we have ever seen.
“At the moment we are working on about an eight week waiting list. And although we are rehoming around 60 cats a week, the numbers waiting to come in is also increasing weekly.
“Sadly the most common reason for the cats waiting to come in, is owners moving into rented accommodation and their pets are not allowed.”
Wood Green is urging anyone thinking of getting a cat or kitten to consider rescuing an animal in desperate need of a home.
Cats available at Heydon include Mittens, a seven-month old kitten which came in from a multi-cat household and can go home alone or with her sister Blackie, and Honey, who arrived at Wood Green in July with her sister Mustard.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 8 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 9 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 10 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
“All of our cats and kittens have received a full health check, are up-to-date with their worming, flea treatments and vaccinations, are microchipped and are either neutered or will come with a neutering voucher. We also give new pet owners four weeks free insurance and offer on-going support and advice,” said Ms Jones.
For further information about rehoming a cat or kitten from Wood Green, call 0844 248 8181 or visit www.woodgreen.org.uk.