Anger over “mini mountain range” of dumped rubbish in South Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
The rubbish heaps - which amount to around 4,000 tonnes - have been created near Flint Cross, on the A505 between Fowlmere and Royston.
Fowlmere parish council has been asking Cambridgeshire County Council to force the landowner to remove the rubbish, but say nothing has been done for months.
Cllr Deborah Roberts, chairman of Fowlmere Parish Council said: “These huge mountains of waste at Flint Cross behind cottages are still in place.
“Out county councillor Peter Topping had told us he was speaking to Cambridgeshire County Council about to take legal proceedings against it all. But we haven’t seen it go down in size, and if you drive in on the A505 and turn off at Flint Cross you’re greeted with an absolute mountain of stuff.”
At the parish council’s meeting at the end of April, councillors vowed to keep up the pressure on the county council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Roberts added: “This has been going on for months and months we don’t seem to have any real surge from the county council to do anything about it. It’s not just a lorry-load, it’s like a mini mountain-range. At Fowlmere Parish Council we want to see this resolved, no one should be allowed to get round the system.”
Syed Akhtar and his wife Ilyas Akhtar own Dotrell Farm on which the waste was placed.
- 1 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 2 Royston woman celebrates 100th birthday after living in town for 53 years
- 3 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 4 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 9 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 10 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
They pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates Court on April 17 to being in breach of an enforement notice by Cambridgeshire County Council for failing to remove all wood waste and not returning it to agricultural use by June 2013.
Each of the charges carry a maximum penalty of £20,000 and the magistrate referred it onto the Crown Court for sentencing.
The couple have until July 31 to return the land to it’s original condition.
The Crow contacted Mr Akhtar who said he had been misled by a different company who dumped far more waste that the council gave them permission to and have no disappeared, leaving him to foot the bill.
Cllr Topping said: “I am glad this decision has been made but I have concerns about how long the rubbish will take to be removed.
“The county council will get there in the end but all the while the residents of Foulmere have to live with this unpleasant eyesore.”