Americans in Britain exhibition at Imperial War Museum Duxford extended
- Credit: Archant
A photography exhibition showing Americans in Britain during World War Two has been extended due to popular demand.
The temporary exhibition at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, entitled Somewhere in England: Portraits of the Americans in Britain 1942 to 1945, had been scheduled to close last month, but will now run until the end of March.
The exhibition was created to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the American forces arriving at RAF Duxford during the Second World War
A spokesman for the museum explained: “The striking images that can be seen in the exhibition have been selected from the Roger Freeman Collection of over 15,000 images of the Eighth and Ninth Air Forces in Great Britain during the Second World War, which has recently been acquired by Imperial War Museum. Some of the images featured in the exhibition have not been seen since the Second World War.
“The images in Somewhere in England show the range and diversity of the roles undertaken by the men of the United States Army Air Forces and the women of the Women’s Army Corps and the Red Cross – it wasn’t just pilots and ground crew that kept the aircraft flying.”
You may also want to watch:
The pictures in the exhibition include the image above, which shows Virginia Irwin, a features writer from a Missouri newspaper. She is shown interviewing Lieutenant Glennon T ‘Bubbles’ Moran of the 352nd Fighter Group at Bodney air base in Norfolk.
The exhibition is open until March 31 in the museum’s AirSpace mezzanine gallery.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 6 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 7 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 8 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 9 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 10 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation