Amazing’ children raise hospice cash
PUPILS have raised £130 for charity – a move described by their headteacher as truly amazing . Pupils from Millfield School in Buntingford travelled to the Isabel Hospice, Welwyn Garden City, to present a cheque to the hospice after the school s council
PUPILS have raised £130 for charity - a move described by their headteacher as "truly amazing".
Pupils from Millfield School in Buntingford travelled to the Isabel Hospice,
Welwyn Garden City, to present a cheque to the hospice after the school's council and assembly committee organised a cake sale.
Committee chairmen Emily Handley and Elena Walker, both nine, thought of the fund-raising event as a thank you for the care which Elena's grandfather had received.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Debra Blizzard said: "The children used their own initiative and it was all organised by themselves.
"Some of them have been through personal loss and they understand the care and support that hospices give. They realise the importance and wanted to help them by raising money."
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 3 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 4 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 5 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 9 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
Hospice fund-raising co-ordinator Cheryl Cussak said: "We were delighted that the children came down to the hospice to present the cheque."
Pupils were shown around the hospice and met doctors and carers, who explained their role and the care that takes place.
Mrs Blizzard said: "To get something like this from nine-year-olds is truly amazing. They have shown so much awareness towards others, and the school is extremely proud. The day was very memorable and it has left a real impact.