Almost 40 dogs seized by police in Therfield home raid after concerns about welfare
- Credit: Archant
A total of 38 dogs were seized from a home in Therfield by police and RSPCA yesterday morning after the alarm was raised about the welfare of the animals inside.
Following concerns about ongoing anti-social behaviour, a raid was carried out at an address in Hay Green under Section 23 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006.
Officers entered the home at about 7.30am and during the search 38 dogs of varying breeds were seized – they have now all been taken to boarding kennels.
RSPCA inspector Jayne Bashford said: “We take allegations of animal suffering and neglect very seriously, and we are grateful to the police in assisting us in investigating such claims.”
The owners of the dogs co-operated with police and the RSPCA, and they will be meeting with the animal welfare charity for an interview later this week.
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Duncan Sales from the North Herts Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “Alongside the RSPCA we received reports from the public about the concerns for the welfare of animals being housed at the address and of ongoing anti-social behaviour. As a result we executed this search warrant alongside the RSPCA and investigations will now continue.”
Officers from the safer neighbourhood team, Operation Scorpion – a team tackling serious crimes in Herts, and a dog unit carried out the warrant alongside RSPCA inspectors. A vet was also in attendance.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange