Alice off to Gambia to work with the Lisa Kent Memorial Trust
A STUDENT from Crow Country is off to Africa to take part in a charity project. Alice Phillips, 19, of High Street, Melbourn, will be flying out to the Gambia in April for a three-month stay, during which she will volunteer for the Lisa Kent Memorial Trus
A STUDENT from Crow Country is off to Africa to take part in a charity project.
Alice Phillips, 19, of High Street, Melbourn, will be flying out to the Gambia in April for a three-month stay, during which she will volunteer for the Lisa Kent Memorial Trust, which aims to help improve education in the east African nation.
She said: "The actual trip is only a week long, however I've offered to stay out for longer on my own to help as much as I can. In my time away I'll be helping build a second school - the trust managed to buy from the government and finally got planning permission for last year. I also intend on spending half of my time teaching in the current school too."
The trust was set up in memory of Lisa Kent, a nurse from Addenbrooke's Hospital who died in a car crash in 2003. She had been to work with children in the Gambia, and so the trust was born.
You may also want to watch:
Alice, who is a former pupil at Long Road Sixth Form College in Cambridge, is currently trying to raise the �2,000 she needs to fund the expedition.
She said: "I have to raise the cash by mid-March, and the money is purely going into the charity as I have saved my own money for my flights, insurance, and the majority of my accommodation.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 3 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 4 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 5 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 6 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 The bells are back in town!
- 9 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 10 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
"I only started fundraising at the beginning of December and have definitely taken on a challenge but I'm determined to do it.
"This is something I've wanted to do since leaving college - it's not exactly a gap year but I intend to go back into education in September to do something like nursing so I can be involved in aid work as a future. This is like a taster for me."
To help raise funds Alice has organised a quiz night on Thursday, February 18 at the Dolphin pub in Melbourn, starting at 8pm. Tickets �5 each, including food, and an array of prizes have been donated from firms such Esse Retail Therapy and Royston Leisure Centre.
To book tickets call 01763 233047 or email email@example.com.