Alex has music in her soul
A YOUNG singer is hoping to make a name for herself on the music scene. Alex Holmes, 16, of Ashwell, describes her sound as New Soul and is determined to be known for her singing and songwriting capability. The Year 12 student at Knights Templar School s
A YOUNG singer is hoping to make a name for herself on the music scene.
Alex Holmes, 16, of Ashwell, describes her sound as New Soul and is determined to be known for her singing and songwriting capability.
The Year 12 student at Knights Templar School said: "I've loved singing and music as far back as I can remember.
"Music's in my soul and I'm passionate about making it my career."
At five years old Alex was making up songs with a friend, then at seven began creating melodies and adding lyrics with her father.
"At the age of nine I started writing lyrics and playing the violin and piano," she said.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 5 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 9 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 10 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
"I'm not sure why I started writing as well as singing but I found I was OK at it."
When she was nine Alex wrote her first song Here I Stand with piano accompaniment.
Among her influences are Alanis Morissette, Dido and Delta Goodrem, who she says is "such an inspiration and strong person".
Alex said: "My dad was in bands when he was younger and he used to play his songs to me.
"I think that's how music became so important to me."
And Alex is determined to follow her idols' success.
"I thought about studying law, but I can't choose when I want to write songs.
"I can get an idea just before I go out or before I go to sleep and I have to go to the piano, so I don't think doing anything else would work."
This summer the budding star played on the Arcade Eclectic Stage at Rhythms of the World in Hitchin, which led to a gig at Club 85.
Now Alex, who loves to be on the stage, is looking forward to a performance tomorrow (Friday) at The Three Tuns Hotel in Ashwell.
She said: "I like acting as well, and have been performing since I was very young, so I feel confident on stage.
"I think people get different things out of my music, which is good.
"I want to be known as an individual artist and songwriter - a good one."
Alex's music can be heard on her myspace page at www.myspace.com/al3xholmes
The event tomorrow at the Three Tuns Hotel is free and will start at 9pm.