Alan puts Crows history in the book
- Credit: Archant
The 138-year history of Royston Town football club has been documented in a new book by the club’s president.
Alan Barlow is launching the book, entitled The History of Royston Town Football Club, at an event on Friday.
He said: “I first set out in the summer of 2008 to start writing the book and naively believed I’d have it finished inside 18 months. How wrong I was, and it has taken me over five and half years to finish it and bring to publication.
“The book is my legacy to the club and reflects my passion for non league football in general and Royston Town in particular. I first got involved in the club as a player in 1975 and my involvement has continued unbroken in one form or another for 38 years.”
The Crows, who currently ply their trade in the Calor Southern League Division One Central, have enjoyed many ups and downs over the years. The book provides an insight into one of Royston’s oldest sporting organisation and reveals many previously unreported facts about the Club and the people who have been involved in it over the decades.
You may also want to watch:
“Even for those who are not avid football fans the book provides many interesting perspectives on the social history of the town and many well known Royston personalities and families,” said Mr Barlow.
“I doubt it will ever become a best seller but a lot of people have expressed interest in buying a copy and prelaunch orders have been very healthy.”
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 4 North Hertfordshire's inspirational volunteers recognised in awards
- 5 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 6 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 7 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 8 Have your say at virtual town meeting
- 9 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 10 Pupils become journalists for class topic
The first Launch Event is being held at the Football Club on Friday, November 15, at 8pm, and the book can be purchased at a discounted price of £24.99. A preview can be found online at www.alanvbarlow.com, and a further launch event is being held at the Old Bull Inn on Thursday, December 5, starting at 8pm.