Alan puts Crows history in the book
- Credit: Archant
The 138-year history of Royston Town football club has been documented in a new book by the club’s president.
Alan Barlow is launching the book, entitled The History of Royston Town Football Club, at an event on Friday.
He said: “I first set out in the summer of 2008 to start writing the book and naively believed I’d have it finished inside 18 months. How wrong I was, and it has taken me over five and half years to finish it and bring to publication.
“The book is my legacy to the club and reflects my passion for non league football in general and Royston Town in particular. I first got involved in the club as a player in 1975 and my involvement has continued unbroken in one form or another for 38 years.”
The Crows, who currently ply their trade in the Calor Southern League Division One Central, have enjoyed many ups and downs over the years. The book provides an insight into one of Royston’s oldest sporting organisation and reveals many previously unreported facts about the Club and the people who have been involved in it over the decades.
You may also want to watch:
“Even for those who are not avid football fans the book provides many interesting perspectives on the social history of the town and many well known Royston personalities and families,” said Mr Barlow.
“I doubt it will ever become a best seller but a lot of people have expressed interest in buying a copy and prelaunch orders have been very healthy.”
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
The first Launch Event is being held at the Football Club on Friday, November 15, at 8pm, and the book can be purchased at a discounted price of £24.99. A preview can be found online at www.alanvbarlow.com, and a further launch event is being held at the Old Bull Inn on Thursday, December 5, starting at 8pm.