Africa trip for Royston scouts
YOUNG adventurers from Royston are to visit one of the poorest areas of Africa to help with community projects.
Eleven members of the Royston Explorers will fly to Swaziland, KwaZulu-Natal and Lesotho in August where their duties will include assisting local scouts with the building of a playground at an orphanage.
District explorer scout commissioner Steve Renwick said: “It’s a clich� but we want them to come back from Africa and realise how lucky they are.
“They have a high rate of AIDS and a low life expectancy and we want to do all we can to help.”
The week-long trip is part of the Herts County Scouts International Expedition, on which they will be joined by 35 other scouts from across the county.
You may also want to watch:
They have two events planned to help fund the trip. The first is a race night on April 2 at the Tenth Royston Scout Hut from 7pm. A licensed bar and two course meal is included with the �10 ticket.
The second is a nine-hole golf day at Kingsway Golf Club in Melbourn on May 7. Tickets cost �25 and include lunch.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 6 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 7 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 8 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 9 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 10 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
Call Andy Wadley on 07843 345965 for more details. Tickets for both events must be brought in advance.
Donations are also being taken at uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/exodusexplorers.