Accolade for villager of the year
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village s success in a competition. Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month. The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will ta
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village's success in a competition.
Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month.
The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will take pride of place opposite Ashwell Museum.
Cllr David Miller, chairman of North Herts District Council, was present at the unveiling, along with other dignitaries including Cllr Bernard Lloyd, chairman of Herts County Council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Miller said: "[Village of the year] is not about the sleepy, the picturesque - it is about villages that work, villages that have a 'golden thread' of community spirit running through them.
"Ashwell deserves this award because of so many different factors - environmental projects and excellent communications, the cleanliness of the village and its range of flora and fauna, and a totally inclusive village atmosphere that helps to make it a wonderful place to live and visit," he said.
- 1 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 2 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 8 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 9 'We're breaking' - Lister Hospital staff 'tearful' and 'on their knees' as COVID cases double
- 10 Isthmian League reveal why they want to terminate non-league football 'at the earliest opportunity'