Accolade for villager of the year
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village s success in a competition. Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month. The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will ta
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village's success in a competition.
Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month.
The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will take pride of place opposite Ashwell Museum.
Cllr David Miller, chairman of North Herts District Council, was present at the unveiling, along with other dignitaries including Cllr Bernard Lloyd, chairman of Herts County Council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Miller said: "[Village of the year] is not about the sleepy, the picturesque - it is about villages that work, villages that have a 'golden thread' of community spirit running through them.
"Ashwell deserves this award because of so many different factors - environmental projects and excellent communications, the cleanliness of the village and its range of flora and fauna, and a totally inclusive village atmosphere that helps to make it a wonderful place to live and visit," he said.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 7 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 Stunning snap causes stir online