Accolade for villager of the year
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village s success in a competition. Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month. The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will ta
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village's success in a competition.
Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month.
The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will take pride of place opposite Ashwell Museum.
Cllr David Miller, chairman of North Herts District Council, was present at the unveiling, along with other dignitaries including Cllr Bernard Lloyd, chairman of Herts County Council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Miller said: "[Village of the year] is not about the sleepy, the picturesque - it is about villages that work, villages that have a 'golden thread' of community spirit running through them.
"Ashwell deserves this award because of so many different factors - environmental projects and excellent communications, the cleanliness of the village and its range of flora and fauna, and a totally inclusive village atmosphere that helps to make it a wonderful place to live and visit," he said.
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 3 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 6 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 7 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation