Accolade for villager of the year
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village s success in a competition. Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month. The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will ta
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village's success in a competition.
Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month.
The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will take pride of place opposite Ashwell Museum.
Cllr David Miller, chairman of North Herts District Council, was present at the unveiling, along with other dignitaries including Cllr Bernard Lloyd, chairman of Herts County Council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Miller said: "[Village of the year] is not about the sleepy, the picturesque - it is about villages that work, villages that have a 'golden thread' of community spirit running through them.
"Ashwell deserves this award because of so many different factors - environmental projects and excellent communications, the cleanliness of the village and its range of flora and fauna, and a totally inclusive village atmosphere that helps to make it a wonderful place to live and visit," he said.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 5 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 6 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 7 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 8 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 9 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 10 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid