Accolade for villager of the year
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village s success in a competition. Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month. The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will ta
A SPECIALLY commissioned sign has been unveiled to mark a village's success in a competition.
Ashwell triumphed in the Hertfordshire Village of the Year, north section, earlier this month.
The award was marked with the unveiling of the sign, which will take pride of place opposite Ashwell Museum.
Cllr David Miller, chairman of North Herts District Council, was present at the unveiling, along with other dignitaries including Cllr Bernard Lloyd, chairman of Herts County Council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Miller said: "[Village of the year] is not about the sleepy, the picturesque - it is about villages that work, villages that have a 'golden thread' of community spirit running through them.
"Ashwell deserves this award because of so many different factors - environmental projects and excellent communications, the cleanliness of the village and its range of flora and fauna, and a totally inclusive village atmosphere that helps to make it a wonderful place to live and visit," he said.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 5 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 6 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities
- 9 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 10 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife