Accolade for Barkway pub
THE Tally Ho pub in Barkway has been voted into the Good Pub Guide for the first time. The High Street pub has been awarded the title of Best New pub in this year s guide, which was published last week. Landlord Paul Danter said: You can just pay your wa
THE Tally Ho pub in Barkway has been voted into the Good Pub Guide for the first time.
The High Street pub has been awarded the title of Best New pub in this year's guide, which was published last week.
Landlord Paul Danter said: "You can just pay your way into some of the guides which are published, but this one is done entirely on merit, so we're very pleased.
"We've maintained very high standards in our food and drink over the last few years and our chefs are terrific - they work hard to keep the menu fresh with new ideas and imaginative specials."
The judges described the Tally Ho as "an appealing 'proper' pub which has all the traditional virtues, providing real country food, relaxing bar and dining areas and a friendly professional service, all with a decided dash of individuality."
They also commended the pub for its "good choice of wines by the glass, malt whiskies and other spirits".
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 8 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 9 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 10 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
Mr Danter and his wife Ros have been at the pub for more than 11 years, and now run it as a free house.
He believes that offering value for money in the current uncertain financial climate is another reason for their success.
"You can still come to the pub and get four pints for £10, which is a rarity in pubs these days, he said.
"It takes a while to build a good reputation, and I think we've done that during our time here.