A super send off as Meldreth stationmaster David retires
- Credit: Archant
Popular David Piggott was feted in a great retirement celebration when the Meldreth railway station stalwart retired on Saturday.
Many people baked cakes, wrote sentimental words and came along for a cup of tea to help wave off the generous and kind-spirited stationmaster.
Susan van de Ven, who chairs the Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton Rail User Group and organised the celebration, said: “Thank you to everyone who helped celebrate the greatest station master of all time.
“The rail user group has published a book of photographs and recollections entitled Memorable Moments with David Piggott.
“One of the funniest bits in the book is David’s own account of a day at work in 2003, when the train company at the time was busy drawing up detailed plans for the apparently imminent waiting shelter for the Cambridge-bound platform… a shelter that we are still waiting for.
You may also want to watch:
“Please pop down to the station to see the wonderful portrait of David that is now hanging just over the ticket office window – intended to cast his spell over our station forever more. Thank you David.”
The farewell celebration for David was attended by scores of local people and train travellers from villages all around, including students and carers from Meldreth Manor School.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 5 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 6 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation