A 'long and hard' look at town bus service
COUNCILLORS have been told that work is going on behind the scenes in a bid to restore the Royston town bus service. Cllr Tony Hunter told members of Royston Town Council s highways and general purposes committee that the issue was being looked at long
COUNCILLORS have been told that work is going on "behind the scenes" in a bid to restore the Royston town bus service.
Cllr Tony Hunter told members of Royston Town Council's highways and general purposes committee that the issue was being looked at "long and hard".
The No 17 town service was cut when North Herts District Council decided not to give any more cash to Herts County Council to run buses.
It is believed that other local authorities across Herts are now considering ending payments, too.
You may also want to watch:
And the committee was told, too, that "local funding" may help restore the service.
Royston's county councillor Doug Drake said there would be nothing wrong in the town council or the district council making a contribution towards public transport.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 4 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 7 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 8 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
- 9 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 10 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
He said, too, that the county council was looking to run a pilot route in to the Coombelands development once-a-week on a Wednesday.
"The county council will have to measure the response," he said.
Committe chairman Cllr Mike Harrison claimed: "The Government is keeping the county short of cash opposed to those in the north where it has control."
The county council is looking to create a new bus route between Royston and Letchworth which may include taking in Ashwell.