£80,000 improvements to centre
AN £80,000 refurbishment has been carried out at the Coombes Community Centre in Royston. Most of the work has seen improvements to the centre s main hall where new lighting and acoustic ceiling tiles have been put in place. Community centre manager Gilli
AN £80,000 refurbishment has been carried out at the Coombes Community Centre in Royston.
Most of the work has seen improvements to the centre's main hall where new lighting and acoustic ceiling tiles have been put in place.
Community centre manager Gillian Morland said the Royston Community Association - which runs the community centre in Burns Road - was "delighted" with the work.
And association treasurer Fred Bendall said: "We are sure that it will really make a difference. It's the first time any work of this kind has been done at the community centre since it was opened 21 years ago.
You may also want to watch:
"We've been impressed by the work," he said.
Mrs Morland said: "The emphasis of the work has been on environmental and energy saving throughout."
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 6 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 9 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 10 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
The work was carried out by North Herts District Council, which owns the building and rents it to the community association.
Mr Morland added: "The association is self-funded and voluntary members run the community centre, but due to rising costs it has had little money available for improvements.
"This year the work was included in the district council's budget."
* For details on the community centre e-mail coombescommunity@bt connect.com or visit the website at www.coombescommunitycentre.co.uk
Our picture shows community association chairman Bill Davidson with centre manager Gillian Morland, left, and Cllr Fiona Hill, chairman of the district council's Royston area committee.
Picture: DANIEL WILSON 3136DW004