£80,000 improvements to centre
AN £80,000 refurbishment has been carried out at the Coombes Community Centre in Royston. Most of the work has seen improvements to the centre s main hall where new lighting and acoustic ceiling tiles have been put in place. Community centre manager Gilli
AN £80,000 refurbishment has been carried out at the Coombes Community Centre in Royston.
Most of the work has seen improvements to the centre's main hall where new lighting and acoustic ceiling tiles have been put in place.
Community centre manager Gillian Morland said the Royston Community Association - which runs the community centre in Burns Road - was "delighted" with the work.
And association treasurer Fred Bendall said: "We are sure that it will really make a difference. It's the first time any work of this kind has been done at the community centre since it was opened 21 years ago.
"We've been impressed by the work," he said.
Mrs Morland said: "The emphasis of the work has been on environmental and energy saving throughout."
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 7 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 8 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
The work was carried out by North Herts District Council, which owns the building and rents it to the community association.
Mr Morland added: "The association is self-funded and voluntary members run the community centre, but due to rising costs it has had little money available for improvements.
"This year the work was included in the district council's budget."
* For details on the community centre e-mail coombescommunity@bt connect.com or visit the website at www.coombescommunitycentre.co.uk
Our picture shows community association chairman Bill Davidson with centre manager Gillian Morland, left, and Cllr Fiona Hill, chairman of the district council's Royston area committee.
Picture: DANIEL WILSON 3136DW004