MP Sir Oliver Heald attends Herts Ploughing Match in Great Chishill
- Credit: Archant
North East Herts MP Oliver Heald was guest of honour at the 73rd Hertfordshire County Ploughing Match, held at the weekend.
New Buildings Farm near Great Chishill was the setting for the event hosted Robert Dredge and Law Farming on Saturday.
In total, 58 tractors competed to make good straight furrows to a stated depth and without straw on view - the winner was Richard Norman from Buckinghamshire.
Sir Oliver was briefed on National Farmers' Union issues by Ros David, Leonie King and Tom Wornham.
The MP was also able to meet Royston's Ellie Bullard, who won the Herts County Ploughing Championship title in 2017 - and picked up honours at a Lincolnshire match two weeks ago, along with her brother Josh.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "We are one of the best farming areas and ploughing is a top skill in an arable area like ours.
"It was marvellous to see so many heritage and modern tractors and to meet our local farmers and NFU specialists. It was a great morning and they even had a big screen so we could see England's rugby triumph."
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme