42 children escape unharmed after bus owned by Barley coach company overturns on A10 in Norfolk
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A class of 42 children escaped unharmed when a coach owned by a Barley firm overturned earlier today.
The coach, part of a convoy of three vehicles owned by Richmond’s Coaches, overturned on the A10 near Hilgay in Norfolk.
It was carrying the children, from William Westley Primary School, Whittlesford, to Hunstanton for a trip to the seaside.
A spokesman for the Confederation for Passenger Transport, the trade body for coach operators, said: “We don’t know what happened but one of the coaches left the road and ended up in a ditch.
“The drivers from the following vehicles were able to assist in safely evacuating passengers from the coach and we believe there are no reported injuries.
You may also want to watch:
“A replacement coach was sent to collect passengers and they’re all returning to school.”
He added the coach involved in the crash was a modern vehicle, fitted with lap belts.
- 1 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 2 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
- 3 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 4 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk
- 5 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 6 Sandon mum's joy at publication of first novel
- 7 Campaign to bring medical treatment for children with heart conditions closer to home
- 8 18 rescued from back of refrigerated lorry
- 9 Village church receives 'lifeline' grant from government
- 10 Herts COVID-19 infection rate falls below one in a thousand
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire County Council, speaking on behalf of the school, said: “The bus which ended up in the ditch was one of three travelling in convoy so the children simply got on to the other two buses and are being taken back to the school. All of them are unhurt.
“Arrangements will be made to inform parents of the next steps but it’s unclear at the moment whether children will be sent home.”
Police said the single vehicle accident happened just before 11am.