42 children escape unharmed after bus owned by Barley coach company overturns on A10 in Norfolk
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A class of 42 children escaped unharmed when a coach owned by a Barley firm overturned earlier today.
The coach, part of a convoy of three vehicles owned by Richmond’s Coaches, overturned on the A10 near Hilgay in Norfolk.
It was carrying the children, from William Westley Primary School, Whittlesford, to Hunstanton for a trip to the seaside.
A spokesman for the Confederation for Passenger Transport, the trade body for coach operators, said: “We don’t know what happened but one of the coaches left the road and ended up in a ditch.
“The drivers from the following vehicles were able to assist in safely evacuating passengers from the coach and we believe there are no reported injuries.
You may also want to watch:
“A replacement coach was sent to collect passengers and they’re all returning to school.”
He added the coach involved in the crash was a modern vehicle, fitted with lap belts.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 10 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire County Council, speaking on behalf of the school, said: “The bus which ended up in the ditch was one of three travelling in convoy so the children simply got on to the other two buses and are being taken back to the school. All of them are unhurt.
“Arrangements will be made to inform parents of the next steps but it’s unclear at the moment whether children will be sent home.”
Police said the single vehicle accident happened just before 11am.