Yellow split peas in coconut sauce
HERE S a spicy, but not particularly hot, vegetable dish. This is a good accompaniment to lamb chops, perhaps with some greens. Ingredients 275g (10oz) yellow split peas 2in stick cinnamon 4 dried red chillies 1 tsp ground turmeric 225g (8oz) potatoes 1
HERE'S a spicy, but not particularly hot, vegetable dish. This is a good accompaniment to lamb chops, perhaps with some greens.
275g (10oz) yellow split peas
2in stick cinnamon
You may also want to watch:
4 dried red chillies
1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 All you need to know about Welney Wetland Centre reopening
225g (8oz) potatoes
1 large clove garlic
1/2in cube fresh ginger root
1 1/2 tsp salt
200ml (7 fl oz) tinned coconut milk
1 small onion
1 tsp black or yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
8 dried curry leaves
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Wash the peas well and drain. Put the peas in a large pan with the cinnamon stick, turmeric and two dried chillies. Add 11/2 pts (900ml) water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently until the peas are tender. Peel the potatoes and cut into small chunks.
When the peas are just softening, add the potatoes and salt to the pan, together with the garlic and ginger, peeled and cut into fine strips. Add a little more water if necessary and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut milk and stir.
Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the onion. Combine all the remaining spices in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a small frying-pan and stir-fry the onion until it starts to turn brown. Add the whole spices and stir well. Put the peas in a serving dish and add the onion and spices, stir to mix and serve immediately.
Plenty for 4 servings.