Yellow split peas in coconut sauce
HERE S a spicy, but not particularly hot, vegetable dish. This is a good accompaniment to lamb chops, perhaps with some greens. Ingredients 275g (10oz) yellow split peas 2in stick cinnamon 4 dried red chillies 1 tsp ground turmeric 225g (8oz) potatoes 1
HERE'S a spicy, but not particularly hot, vegetable dish. This is a good accompaniment to lamb chops, perhaps with some greens.
275g (10oz) yellow split peas
2in stick cinnamon
You may also want to watch:
4 dried red chillies
1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 5 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 6 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 9 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
225g (8oz) potatoes
1 large clove garlic
1/2in cube fresh ginger root
1 1/2 tsp salt
200ml (7 fl oz) tinned coconut milk
1 small onion
1 tsp black or yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
8 dried curry leaves
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Wash the peas well and drain. Put the peas in a large pan with the cinnamon stick, turmeric and two dried chillies. Add 11/2 pts (900ml) water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently until the peas are tender. Peel the potatoes and cut into small chunks.
When the peas are just softening, add the potatoes and salt to the pan, together with the garlic and ginger, peeled and cut into fine strips. Add a little more water if necessary and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut milk and stir.
Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the onion. Combine all the remaining spices in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a small frying-pan and stir-fry the onion until it starts to turn brown. Add the whole spices and stir well. Put the peas in a serving dish and add the onion and spices, stir to mix and serve immediately.
Plenty for 4 servings.