Who's who May 4 - 10
THURSDAY MAY 4 Deaths: Diana Dors, actress, 1984; Bernie Winters, comedian, 1991. FRIDAY MAY 5 Deaths: Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor, 1821. SATURDAY MAY 6 Deaths: Edward VII, 1910; Marlene Dietrich, actress and singer, 1992; Johnny Morris, presente
THURSDAY MAY 4
Deaths: Diana Dors, actress, 1984; Bernie Winters, comedian, 1991.
FRIDAY MAY 5
Deaths: Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor, 1821.
You may also want to watch:
SATURDAY MAY 6
Deaths: Edward VII, 1910; Marlene Dietrich, actress and singer, 1992; Johnny Morris, presenter of Animal Magic, 1999.
- 1 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 2 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 3 County council leader praises sacrifice made by residents during lockdown
- 4 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 5 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 6 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
- 7 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 8 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 9 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Royston
SUNDAY MAY 7
Deaths: Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Hollywood star, 2000.
MONDAY MAY 8
Deaths: John Stuart Mill, English philosopher and liberal thinker, 1873; Paul Gauguin, French painter, 1903; Henry Gordon Selfridge, store owner, 1947; Gilles Villeneuve, Formula 1 racing driver, 1982; George Peppard, actor and star of The A-Team, 1994; Dirk Bogarde, actor, 1970.
TUESDAY MAY 9
Deaths: Sir Henry Morgan Stanley, explorer, 1904; Tensign Norgay, conqueror of Everest, 1986.
WEDNESDAY MAY 10
Deaths: Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson, American Civil War general, 1863; Joan Crawford, actress, 1977.
ON this day
Conan Doyle's hero Sherlock Holmes died today (Thursday) in 1891.
The detective has been portrayed by 75 actors in more than 200 films and is, of course, the hero of such books as The Hound of the Baskervilles and A Study in Scarlet.