Who's who May 4 - 10
THURSDAY MAY 4 Deaths: Diana Dors, actress, 1984; Bernie Winters, comedian, 1991. FRIDAY MAY 5 Deaths: Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor, 1821. SATURDAY MAY 6 Deaths: Edward VII, 1910; Marlene Dietrich, actress and singer, 1992; Johnny Morris, presente
THURSDAY MAY 4
Deaths: Diana Dors, actress, 1984; Bernie Winters, comedian, 1991.
FRIDAY MAY 5
Deaths: Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor, 1821.
SATURDAY MAY 6
Deaths: Edward VII, 1910; Marlene Dietrich, actress and singer, 1992; Johnny Morris, presenter of Animal Magic, 1999.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
SUNDAY MAY 7
Deaths: Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Hollywood star, 2000.
MONDAY MAY 8
Deaths: John Stuart Mill, English philosopher and liberal thinker, 1873; Paul Gauguin, French painter, 1903; Henry Gordon Selfridge, store owner, 1947; Gilles Villeneuve, Formula 1 racing driver, 1982; George Peppard, actor and star of The A-Team, 1994; Dirk Bogarde, actor, 1970.
TUESDAY MAY 9
Deaths: Sir Henry Morgan Stanley, explorer, 1904; Tensign Norgay, conqueror of Everest, 1986.
WEDNESDAY MAY 10
Deaths: Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson, American Civil War general, 1863; Joan Crawford, actress, 1977.
ON this day
Conan Doyle's hero Sherlock Holmes died today (Thursday) in 1891.
The detective has been portrayed by 75 actors in more than 200 films and is, of course, the hero of such books as The Hound of the Baskervilles and A Study in Scarlet.