We still have strong sense of community
I WOULD like to wish all residents of North East Hertfordshire a happy New Year. At this time of year, we should give our thanks to all the volunteers who do so much to help others in our towns and villages. We are fortunate to live in an area with a stro
I WOULD like to wish all residents of North East Hertfordshire a happy New Year.
At this time of year, we should give our thanks to all the volunteers who do so much to help others in our towns and villages. We are fortunate to live in an area with a strong sense of community and caring.
This year may be remembered as the Government's worst year.
Despite being full of good intentions, its failures over the years are leading to problems with our local National Health Service.
You may also want to watch:
It has been forced to cancel plans for a new hospital and Chancellor Gordon Brown's cuts are leading to job losses throughout our area.
I am, along with my Conservative colleagues, fighting these cuts.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 9 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 10 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
The year ahead will bring its challenges.
In my New Year's message four years ago I said that we must continue to campaign to protect the local environment from insensitive proposals for development or airport expansion. Unfortunately it appears the Government is not listening so this year we are going to have to work even harder.
Another piece of regrettable news, announced merely days before Christmas, is that the Government is planning to close 2,500 post offices across the country.
These vital services in our communities are under threat and I hope you will join in the campaign to prevent any more closures in North East Herts.
MP for North East Herts