We still have strong sense of community
I WOULD like to wish all residents of North East Hertfordshire a happy New Year. At this time of year, we should give our thanks to all the volunteers who do so much to help others in our towns and villages. We are fortunate to live in an area with a stro
I WOULD like to wish all residents of North East Hertfordshire a happy New Year.
At this time of year, we should give our thanks to all the volunteers who do so much to help others in our towns and villages. We are fortunate to live in an area with a strong sense of community and caring.
This year may be remembered as the Government's worst year.
Despite being full of good intentions, its failures over the years are leading to problems with our local National Health Service.
It has been forced to cancel plans for a new hospital and Chancellor Gordon Brown's cuts are leading to job losses throughout our area.
I am, along with my Conservative colleagues, fighting these cuts.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 3 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 10 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
The year ahead will bring its challenges.
In my New Year's message four years ago I said that we must continue to campaign to protect the local environment from insensitive proposals for development or airport expansion. Unfortunately it appears the Government is not listening so this year we are going to have to work even harder.
Another piece of regrettable news, announced merely days before Christmas, is that the Government is planning to close 2,500 post offices across the country.
These vital services in our communities are under threat and I hope you will join in the campaign to prevent any more closures in North East Herts.
MP for North East Herts