We still have strong sense of community
I WOULD like to wish all residents of North East Hertfordshire a happy New Year. At this time of year, we should give our thanks to all the volunteers who do so much to help others in our towns and villages. We are fortunate to live in an area with a stro
I WOULD like to wish all residents of North East Hertfordshire a happy New Year.
At this time of year, we should give our thanks to all the volunteers who do so much to help others in our towns and villages. We are fortunate to live in an area with a strong sense of community and caring.
This year may be remembered as the Government's worst year.
Despite being full of good intentions, its failures over the years are leading to problems with our local National Health Service.
You may also want to watch:
It has been forced to cancel plans for a new hospital and Chancellor Gordon Brown's cuts are leading to job losses throughout our area.
I am, along with my Conservative colleagues, fighting these cuts.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 6 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 7 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 8 Dial M for an interesting look at the macabre
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
The year ahead will bring its challenges.
In my New Year's message four years ago I said that we must continue to campaign to protect the local environment from insensitive proposals for development or airport expansion. Unfortunately it appears the Government is not listening so this year we are going to have to work even harder.
Another piece of regrettable news, announced merely days before Christmas, is that the Government is planning to close 2,500 post offices across the country.
These vital services in our communities are under threat and I hope you will join in the campaign to prevent any more closures in North East Herts.
MP for North East Herts