We need to keep it local
AT the recent meeting of North Herts District Council it was decided by the Conservative majority that planning will no longer be dealt with at local area meetings. This means that district council decisions being made about Royston will be taken at meeti
AT the recent meeting of North Herts District Council it was decided by the Conservative majority that planning will no longer be dealt with at local area meetings.
This means that district council decisions being made about Royston will be taken at meetings held outside the town, by councillors who may have little knowledge of the locality and who do not represent and have not been elected by the area concerned.
The last local area planning meeting in Royston was attended by more than 40 residents. The proceedings included a presentation from their representative and then the developer's representative.
The opinions of the local councillors were heard and a vote taken and a decision made.
You may also want to watch:
Each town in North Herts has its own character and local decisions should be taken by local people. What is appropriate in one place is not necessarily right in another.
The end result is a weakening of the public voice as decision-making is increasingly centralised.
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 8 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 9 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
Cllr ELIZBETH BEARDWELL
Royston Palace ward