We need to keep it local
AT the recent meeting of North Herts District Council it was decided by the Conservative majority that planning will no longer be dealt with at local area meetings. This means that district council decisions being made about Royston will be taken at meeti
AT the recent meeting of North Herts District Council it was decided by the Conservative majority that planning will no longer be dealt with at local area meetings.
This means that district council decisions being made about Royston will be taken at meetings held outside the town, by councillors who may have little knowledge of the locality and who do not represent and have not been elected by the area concerned.
The last local area planning meeting in Royston was attended by more than 40 residents. The proceedings included a presentation from their representative and then the developer's representative.
The opinions of the local councillors were heard and a vote taken and a decision made.
You may also want to watch:
Each town in North Herts has its own character and local decisions should be taken by local people. What is appropriate in one place is not necessarily right in another.
The end result is a weakening of the public voice as decision-making is increasingly centralised.
- 1 New boxing and Muay Thai classes aim to help boost post-lockdown mood
- 2 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 3 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 4 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 5 No business like shire business for Cambridge college
- 6 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 8 Submissions open for Hertfordshire charity photography exhibition
- 9 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 10 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
Cllr ELIZBETH BEARDWELL
Royston Palace ward