We need to keep it local
AT the recent meeting of North Herts District Council it was decided by the Conservative majority that planning will no longer be dealt with at local area meetings. This means that district council decisions being made about Royston will be taken at meeti
AT the recent meeting of North Herts District Council it was decided by the Conservative majority that planning will no longer be dealt with at local area meetings.
This means that district council decisions being made about Royston will be taken at meetings held outside the town, by councillors who may have little knowledge of the locality and who do not represent and have not been elected by the area concerned.
The last local area planning meeting in Royston was attended by more than 40 residents. The proceedings included a presentation from their representative and then the developer's representative.
The opinions of the local councillors were heard and a vote taken and a decision made.
Each town in North Herts has its own character and local decisions should be taken by local people. What is appropriate in one place is not necessarily right in another.
The end result is a weakening of the public voice as decision-making is increasingly centralised.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 3 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 4 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Entrepreneur shortlisted for award after setting up business while managing chronic illness
- 7 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 8 'It was great to see the whole town get in the spirit of Christmas'
- 9 Room at the inn for 1,000-mile charity trekker
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
Cllr ELIZBETH BEARDWELL
Royston Palace ward