We need to get back in the zone
I WAS sad to read Cllr Rod Kennedy s letter (The Crow, April 26) about the missing Meridian sign in Newmarket Road, Royston. The sign first came to my notice many years ago whereupon I consulted a map to see just how near the zero degree Meridian it w
I WAS sad to read Cllr Rod Kennedy's letter (The Crow, April 26) about the "missing" Meridian sign in Newmarket Road, Royston.
The sign first came to my notice many years ago whereupon I consulted a map to see just how near the "zero degree" Meridian it was. If I remember correctly, the Greneway school was originally called Meridian, but the later building of another school nearer to "zero" presumably prompted its renaming.
In 2004, I was walking past the sign with a friend who had a GPS unit with him; he took a reading and sure enough we were precisely at zero degrees.
I suppose the most likely fate of our sign is along with the drain covers that go "missing".
You may also want to watch:
Perhaps we could have a plastic replacement and then future generations could find the spot where you can stand with one foot in the west and the other in the east.
I have attached a picture of the sign and its GPS location, taken in 2004.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
GEOFFREY J ALLGOOD
I JUST wanted to say that I know the sign was there on Thursday, April 19 because I went to find it for a quiz which was being put on by the library.
One of the questions asked about the location of the sign.
Perhaps this interested someone else as well and they were the wrong sort of people.
I would love to know what happened. It would be a shame if it wasn't replaced.