We need to get back in the zone
I WAS sad to read Cllr Rod Kennedy s letter (The Crow, April 26) about the missing Meridian sign in Newmarket Road, Royston. The sign first came to my notice many years ago whereupon I consulted a map to see just how near the zero degree Meridian it w
I WAS sad to read Cllr Rod Kennedy's letter (The Crow, April 26) about the "missing" Meridian sign in Newmarket Road, Royston.
The sign first came to my notice many years ago whereupon I consulted a map to see just how near the "zero degree" Meridian it was. If I remember correctly, the Greneway school was originally called Meridian, but the later building of another school nearer to "zero" presumably prompted its renaming.
In 2004, I was walking past the sign with a friend who had a GPS unit with him; he took a reading and sure enough we were precisely at zero degrees.
I suppose the most likely fate of our sign is along with the drain covers that go "missing".
Perhaps we could have a plastic replacement and then future generations could find the spot where you can stand with one foot in the west and the other in the east.
I have attached a picture of the sign and its GPS location, taken in 2004.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
GEOFFREY J ALLGOOD
I JUST wanted to say that I know the sign was there on Thursday, April 19 because I went to find it for a quiz which was being put on by the library.
One of the questions asked about the location of the sign.
Perhaps this interested someone else as well and they were the wrong sort of people.
I would love to know what happened. It would be a shame if it wasn't replaced.