We need to get back in the zone
I WAS sad to read Cllr Rod Kennedy s letter (The Crow, April 26) about the missing Meridian sign in Newmarket Road, Royston. The sign first came to my notice many years ago whereupon I consulted a map to see just how near the zero degree Meridian it w
I WAS sad to read Cllr Rod Kennedy's letter (The Crow, April 26) about the "missing" Meridian sign in Newmarket Road, Royston.
The sign first came to my notice many years ago whereupon I consulted a map to see just how near the "zero degree" Meridian it was. If I remember correctly, the Greneway school was originally called Meridian, but the later building of another school nearer to "zero" presumably prompted its renaming.
In 2004, I was walking past the sign with a friend who had a GPS unit with him; he took a reading and sure enough we were precisely at zero degrees.
I suppose the most likely fate of our sign is along with the drain covers that go "missing".
You may also want to watch:
Perhaps we could have a plastic replacement and then future generations could find the spot where you can stand with one foot in the west and the other in the east.
I have attached a picture of the sign and its GPS location, taken in 2004.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 Royston Arts Festival committee overcomes COVID difficulties to bring back events
- 5 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 6 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 7 Barkway Lit Fest proves to be a real page-turner
- 8 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 9 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 10 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
GEOFFREY J ALLGOOD
I JUST wanted to say that I know the sign was there on Thursday, April 19 because I went to find it for a quiz which was being put on by the library.
One of the questions asked about the location of the sign.
Perhaps this interested someone else as well and they were the wrong sort of people.
I would love to know what happened. It would be a shame if it wasn't replaced.